Mike Rowe is one of my heroes. I love watching Dirty Jobs. In fact, we have some of the seasons of DVD, and for me, one of the worlds greatest cheapskates to buy a season of a TV program says something.
I think one of the things that Mike Rowe does that is amazing is championing the labor jobs in this country. He champions the jobs no one else will do, the jobs that require skill, talent, and lots and lots of hard work. And, sometimes that the catch, the hard work.
Some days it feels like fewer and fewer people are willing to work hard. They want something for nothing. They want a paycheck without the work (to be honest, I would too, but that’s not how it works). Mike Rowe champions people who get out of bed every morning and do the jobs that makes our lives better, and the rest of us just don’t want to do.
Of course, this has grown. Mike now offers help with job training, encouragement and assistance in helping people learn skills. But he also offers his S.W.E.A.T pledge (Skill and Work Ethic Aren’t Taboo). I have read this, and assure you, especially in a 3% unemployment economy, that if you follow this pledge, you will pretty much always be able to find work!!. Here it is for your enjoyment with a link to some videos that go into more detail below.
- I believe that I have won the greatest lottery of all time. I am alive. I walk the Earth. I live in America. Above all things, I am grateful.
- I believe that I am entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. I also understand that “happiness” and the “pursuit of happiness” are not the same thing.
- I believe there is no such thing as a “bad job.” I believe that all jobs are opportunities, and it’s up to me to make the best of them.
- I do not “follow my passion.” I bring it with me. I believe that any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.
- I deplore debt, and do all I can to avoid it. I would rather live in a tent and eat beans than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle I can’t afford.
- I believe that my safety is my responsibility. I understand that being in “compliance” does not necessarily mean I’m out of danger.
- I believe the best way to distinguish myself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.
- I believe the most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. I will never make them. If I am unhappy in my work, I will either find a new job, or find a way to be happy.
- I believe that my education is my responsibility, and absolutely critical to my success. I am resolved to learn as much as I can from whatever source is available to me. I will never stop learning, and understand that library cards are free.
- I believe that I am a product of my choices – not my circumstances. I will never blame anyone for my shortcomings or the challenges I face. And I will never accept the credit for something I didn’t do.
- I understand the world is not fair, and I’m OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.
- I believe that all people are created equal. I also believe that all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. I choose to work my butt off.
On my honor, I hereby affirm the above statements to be an accurate summation of my personal worldview. I promise to live by them.
Mike Rowe Works website can be accessed here